Saturday, November 28, 2015

Cinnamon Maple French Toast with Berries-and being the "Mean Mommy"


 "Mommy's mean." Your "Mommy doesn't allow." "What's wrong with a little ice cream?" "Don't worry, I'll give you some when she isn't here."

Yep! I hear those things, mostly from family members who are well intentioned and love Jonah and I to death.I know they are only teasing, and for the most part, our families have been very supportive of our wishes with Jonah. My Mom works extra hard to provide him with healthy options, and my Aunt even made an extra point to provide us with some healthy options at her yummy Thanksgiving dinner. I still occasionally hear these comments though, and I usually just kind of nod and brush it off, but sometimes I take a moment to explain myself. The reason I give Jonah very little sugar and processed foods is not because I'm mean, at least not in my eyes. And I do allow Jonah to have a very little bit of a treat, but it is the exception on a special occasion, not the rule.

Of course, for one thing, I want him to be healthy and I don't want him to be overly hyper. He already is his father's mini-me, and Joey is constantly on the move, tapping, drumming, climbing, etc. Today I turned around to see Jonah climbing his fence, hanging on for dear life. He truly is his father's son! But the MAIN reasons I don't give Jonah sweets very often is that I'm trying to fend off what I like to refer to as "THE BATTLE."

The Battle is that constant fight of trying to get a child to eat something other than sweets, to be interested in all kinds of food, and to be open to different tastes. Now don't get me wrong. I know that my kid is probably going to like cake and cookies, and will probably always prefer ice cream over vegetables. (I mean who doesn't???)  However, the longer I can keep some of those foods out of his little world, the fewer battles I have to fight with him about eating what I put in front of him. Maybe a few of the healthy options will even stick through those tough years where he refuses to eat much else than PB & J and chicken nuggets (most of my friends with older kids have warned me those days are coming). And then again, maybe they won't. But hey, at least I tried!

I do make an attempt to give Jonah "sweets" that come from natural sources and whole foods. Cinnamon Maple French Toast with berries is one of his favorite. So without further ado, here is the recipe:


Cinnamon Maple French Toast with Berries

1 slice organic whole wheat bread
1 eggs (beaten)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
1/4 cup berries frozen
cooking spray

1. Spray a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray
2. Crack and beat egg in medium bowl. Add cinnamon to egg mixture.
3. Over medium-low heat, heat griddle or skillet
4. Dip bread in egg mixtue
5. Transfer bread slice to griddle or skillet, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown. As the French Toast is heating, drizzle 1/2 tsp of pure maple syrup on bread. Turn and brown the other side.
6. Heat frozen berries in microwave for 45 seconds

7. Pour berry mixture over french toast to serve

QUICK.SIMPLE.HEALTHY-my three favorite words when feeding my babe.

I think Jonah liked it. I don't think he thinks I'm mean either.




No comments:

Post a Comment